See full opening hours
Advance booking only
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DG
Welcome back. Two million years of human history awaits!
We've made a few changes to ensure you can safely enjoy your visit:
- Entry to the Museum is now ticketed for the free, permanent collection (only selected Ground floor galleries will be open) as well as paid exhibitions, so all visitors, including Members and volunteers, need to book a timed slot in advance.
- Face coverings are required for the protection of yourself and others, unless you are exempt.
- There is a new one-way route signposted through the Museum, which is easy to follow. Please see the list of available galleries below.
- We ask that you keep a safe distance apart during your visit. Staff are on-hand to advise and there are markers throughout the Museum to guide you. Please be considerate to other visitors and staff.
- Hand sanitiser stations can be found throughout the Museum. Please wash or sanitise your hands regularly.
- We have introduced extra cleaning measures for your protection.
- Some of our cafés and shops will be open – contactless payment is preferred.
- Please do not visit if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
Entering the Museum
- Please enter the Museum via the Main entrance on Great Russell Street. The Montague Place entrance is currently exit only.
- All visitors must pass through a security check which involves a bag search.
- An easy access route is available for disabled visitors, Members and visitors with pushchairs and/or children under five.
- If you require more information on accessibility for disabled visitors, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page for details.
Security and bag searches
We have a wide range of services for our visitors with access requirements.
Find out how to make the most of your visit and plan your trip in advance on our Accessibility at the Museum page.