Daily: 10.00–17.00 (Fridays: 20.30)
See full opening hours
Advance booking advised
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DG
See getting here
Immerse yourself in two million years of human history, art and culture.
Book your free ticket to guarantee Museum entry and receive key information and updates before your visit. In our galleries come face-to-face with objects from the Sutton Hoo ship burial, explore the wonderful collection of the Islamic world and learn more about Egyptian mummies. Please see the list of available galleries to visit.
Exhibition tickets are available to book for Luxury and power: Persia and Greece (4 May – 13 August 2023) and The Citi exhibition China's hidden century (18 May – 8 October 2023).
The safety and security of our staff and visitors is very important to us. Face coverings are recommended for the protection of yourself and others, unless you’re exempt. Please be considerate of people and exercise social distancing where you can – especially in smaller spaces. Hand sanitiser stations can be found throughout the Museum and we recommend washing or sanitising your hands regularly. Contactless payment is preferred in our shops and cafés. Staff are available to advise if you have any questions. Please do not visit if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
Occasionally we may need to close galleries at short notice. We regret that we are not always able to alert visitors in advance of their visit.
We look forward to welcoming you.
Tickets are available to book for Luxury and power: Persia and Greece (4 May – 13 August 2023) and The Citi exhibition China's hidden century (18 May – 8 October 2023).
Entering the Museum
- Entry to the Museum is via the Main entrance on Great Russell Street or the Montague Place entrance.
- Please note that the Montague Place entrance may be subject to closure at short notice, but we aim to assist entry for Members and those with access needs.
- On arrival please join the back of the queue, where you may be required to wait, as longer queues for ticket-holders and walk-ups can form on Great Russell Street.
- General admission ticket holders may enter the Museum anytime after their selected timeslot.
- Once you've gone through the Main entrance an easy access queuing route is available for disabled visitors, visitors with pushchairs and/or children under five, Members, exhibition and general admission ticket-holders.
- All visitors must pass through a security check which involves a bag search.
- If you require more information on accessibility for disabled visitors, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page for details.
Security and bag searches
We have a wide range of services for disabled visitors.
Find out how to make the most of your visit and plan your trip in advance on our Accessibility at the Museum page.