The British Museum is open and continuing to welcome visitors.
Exhibition tickets for The world of Stonehenge and the Citi exhibition Feminine power: the divine to the demonic are available to book. In our galleries you can visit the treasures of Sutton Hoo, explore the wonderful collection of the Islamic world, and learn more about Egyptian mummies. Please see the list of available galleries to visit below.
You're advised to book a timed slot in advance to guarantee entry and help control the numbers of individuals who can visit. Walk-up visits are available each day for those who arrive at the Museum without advance bookings. But this does depend on capacity, as walk-up entry cannot be guaranteed. Please speak to staff on your arrival to enquire about availability.
The safety and security of our staff and visitors is very important to us. Face coverings are recommended for the protection of yourself and others, unless you’re exempt. Please be considerate of people and exercise social distancing where you can – especially in smaller spaces. Hand sanitiser stations can be found throughout the Museum and we recommend washing or sanitising your hands regularly. Contactless payment is preferred in our shops and cafés. Staff are available to advise if you have any questions. Please do not visit if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
Occasionally we may need to close galleries at short notice. We regret that we are not always able to alert visitors in advance of their visit.
We look forward to welcoming you.
Entering the Museum
- Entry to the Museum is via the Main entrance on Great Russell Street or the entrance on Montague Place.
- Every day, except Fridays, the Main entrance closes at 16.00 as the Museum closes at 17.00. On Fridays, due to the late opening of exhibitions, the Main entrance closes at 19.30 as the Museum closes at 20.30.
- Please arrive at the time stated on your ticket – we cannot guarantee admission before or after your allotted time slot.
- All visitors must pass through a security check which involves a bag search.
- An easy access route is available for disabled visitors, Members, exhibition ticket-holders and visitors with pushchairs and/or children under five.
- If you require more information on accessibility for disabled visitors, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page for details.
Security and bag searches
We have a wide range of services for disabled visitors.
Find out how to make the most of your visit and plan your trip in advance on our Accessibility at the Museum page.