The Museum reopens on 17 May.
Advance booking only
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DG
See getting here
We're opening our doors again on Monday 17 May. Two million years of human history awaits!
Most of our galleries will be open, from the world-famous Egyptian mummies, and the treasures of Sutton Hoo to the wonderful collection of the Islamic World. Tickets to Nero: the man behind the myth and Thomas Becket: murder and the making of a saint and the permanent collection are now available to book. We can't wait to welcome you back.
- Entry to the Museum is now ticketed, both for the free, permanent collection and paid exhibitions. All visitors, including Members and volunteers, need to book a timed slot in advance. Please note that some galleries remain closed.
- Face coverings are required for the protection of yourself and others, unless you're exempt.
- There's a one-way route signposted through the Museum, which is easy to follow. Please see the list of available galleries below.
- We ask that you keep a safe distance apart during your visit. Staff are on-hand to advise and there are markers throughout the Museum to guide you. Please be considerate of other visitors and staff.
- Hand sanitiser stations can be found throughout the Museum. Please wash or sanitise your hands regularly.
- We've introduced extra cleaning measures for your protection.
- Some of our cafés and shops will be open – contactless payment is preferred.
- Please do not visit if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Under the UK Government’s NHS Test and Trace scheme, we're required to ask every visitor aged 16 and over to provide their contact details for Test and Trace.
Please follow government guidance and visit in groups of no more than six people or a group of two households. Maintain a social distance between people you do not live with.
Entering the Museum
- Entry to the Museum is via the Main entrance on Great Russell Street. The Montague Place entrance is currently exit only.
- The Main entrance closes at 16.00 and the Museum closes at 17.00. On Fridays the Main entrance closes at 19.30 and the Museum closes at 20.30.
- Please arrive at the time stated on your ticket – we cannot guarantee admission before or after your allotted time slot.
- All visitors must pass through a security check which involves a bag search.
- An easy access route is available for disabled visitors, Members and visitors with pushchairs and/or children under five.
- If you require more information on accessibility for disabled visitors, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page for details.
Security and bag searches
We have a wide range of services for disabled visitors.
Find out how to make the most of your visit and plan your trip in advance on our Accessibility at the Museum page.