About group visits
We welcome groups of any size to the Museum.
- If you plan to attend as a self-led group of 10 people or more, please book with us at least seven days in advance.
- Booking is free and will resume when the Museum reopens.
- Once you enter the Museum you're free to stay, within the stated opening hours.
- Please check in advance on the Visit the British Museum page whether any galleries you plan to visit are closed.
- Tour groups are not permitted in Rooms 61, 62 or 63.
- If you're from a UK school and are bringing primary or secondary students, take a look at the dedicated page for school groups.
- If you're a travel company booking a group visit, you may be able to offer an exclusive out-of-hours tour. See our Travel Trade Tours section for details.
- If anyone in your group has accessibility needs, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page.
- Please make sure you're mindful of other visitors in the Museum. Don't block exits or entrances.
- We recommend group leaders download and read the full guidelines for visiting the British Museum as a tour group.
- On weekdays we offer discounted entry to our paid exhibitions if you attend as part of a group.
- Group bookings require a minimum of 10 people and the group organiser goes free.
- Prices and availability vary depending on the individual exhibition, please check exhibition pages for details.
- Groups must book exhibition tickets in advance to guarantee entry.
- Group exhibition ticket bookings will resume when the Museum reopens.
- If you purchase exhibition tickets as a group, you don't need to make a separate booking to enter the Museum.
Private guided tours for groups
Food and drink for groups
Groups are welcome to dine in the Great Court Restaurant, but we ask that you make a separate booking for this using the contact details on the Great Court Restaurant page. Group organisers can enjoy a free meal with their restaurant booking:
- Groups of 10 to 20 people can claim one free meal
- Groups of 21 to 35 people can claim two free meals
Please refer to the Food and drink page for more details about dining at the Museum.