The British Museum
At your fingertips
Start your visit early – make the most of your time at the Museum and explore the diverse collection from the comfort of your own home.
The Audio app features:
- Expert commentaries on 250 highlight objects from the collection.
- 65 gallery introductions available for free.
- Audio, video, text and images providing in-depth information.
- Self-guided tours to explore the Museum, from ancient Egypt to Medieval Europe.
- A space where you can add objects to favourites.
- Practical visiting information, including a new interactive map, to help you prepare for your visit and find your way around the Museum.
Bring your headphones with you or purchase earbuds from the Guide Desk and British Museum Shop.
How to use this app
Take a self-guided tour
Choose from one of the self-guided tours which each explore a theme – from Top Ten to ancient Egypt. Each tour has an audio introduction, providing background information and context, before guiding you around the Museum. Plus for a limited time only, let our exhibition curators guide you through 15 highlight objects from our major new show on 19th-century China. This immersive tour offers a glimpse into the creativity and resilience of this turbulent period.
Explore the galleries
Browse pictures of all the objects in the Audio app by culture and theme – and see how the collection is displayed within the galleries – then decide what you want to explore.
Listen to a diverse selection of commentaries featured in the Audio app. Using the latest research, they provide new insights into the British Museum collection.
Enjoy expert commentaries from curators in six languages – English, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and British Sign Language.
An Audio Descriptive Guide is available on SoundCloud.
How to use this app
Look for the audio guide symbol
The Audio app covers 250 objects in the permanent galleries – when you see the audio guide symbol on cases or next to objects, enter the number using the keypad on the app for audio commentaries and other information.
Create your own list of favourite British Museum objects by adding objects to the Favourites page as you explore the Museum on the app.
- Full bundle per language £4.99 (introductory offer)
- Themed tour per language £1.99–£2.99