Closed 1 January and 24–26 December
The British Museum
Great Russell St
London WC1B 3DG
Immerse yourself in two million years of human history, art and culture.
Plan your visit:
- Admission is free and advance booking is only required for groups of 10 or more.
- We charge for some exhibitions, events and tours.
- Exhibitions are free for Members and concessions are available.
- Please note that we begin clearing galleries 10 minutes before they close.
- There have been no changes to Museum operations as a result of the Coronavirus. We continue to closely review the advice from Public Health England who assess the UK risk as moderate.
Please note that items of large luggage (including some bags and rucksacks, and all wheeled suitcases) are not permitted. See Entering the Museum below for more details.
Entering the Museum
- All visitors must pass through a security check which involves a bag search.
- Please be prepared to queue at peak hours.
- If you have accessibility needs, children under five, timed admission tickets or are a Museum Member, you may be eligible to use our easy-access lane – please talk to a uniformed member of staff before joining the queue.
- If you have a disability or illness that requires special assistance or support equipment, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page for details.
Security and bag searches
We have a wide range of services for disabled visitors. Find out how to make the most of your visit and plan your trip in advance.