To ensure a safe and enjoyable visit, the Museum continues to work within government guidelines.
Most of our galleries are open. You can visit the treasures of Sutton Hoo, explore the wonderful collection of the Islamic world, and learn more about Egyptian mummies. Please see the list of available galleries below. Tickets for Hokusai: The Great Picture Book of Everything and Peru: a journey in time are available to book.
You're advised to book a timed slot in advance to guarantee entry and help control the numbers of individuals who can visit. Walk-up visits are available each day for those who arrive at the Museum without advance bookings. But this does depend on capacity, as walk-up entry cannot be guaranteed. Please speak to staff on your arrival to enquire about availability.
We take the safety and security of our staff and visitors seriously, so unless you’re exempt, face coverings are mandatory in Museum shops and recommended elsewhere in the Museum for the protection of yourself and others. Please be considerate of others – especially in smaller spaces. Hand sanitiser stations can be found throughout the Museum and we recommend washing or sanitising your hands regularly. Contactless payment is preferred in our shops and cafés. Staff are available to advise if you have any questions. Please do not visit if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
We look forward to welcoming you.
Entering the Museum
- Entry to the Museum is via the Main entrance on Great Russell Street or the entrance on Montague Place.
- Every day, except Fridays, the Main entrance closes at 16.00 as the Museum closes at 17.00. On Fridays, due to the late opening of exhibitions, the Main entrance closes at 19.30 as the Museum closes at 20.30.
- Please arrive at the time stated on your ticket – we cannot guarantee admission before or after your allotted time slot.
- All visitors must pass through a security check which involves a bag search.
- An easy access route is available for disabled visitors, Members and visitors with pushchairs and/or children under five.
- If you require more information on accessibility for disabled visitors, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page for details.
Security and bag searches
We have a wide range of services for disabled visitors.
Find out how to make the most of your visit and plan your trip in advance on our Accessibility at the Museum page.