The Museum is closed.
Advance booking only
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DG
See getting here
We're planning to reopen on Monday 17 May and look forward to welcoming you back. Tickets to our special exhibitions and permanent collection are now available to book.
In the meantime, there are many ways to enjoy the British Museum from home, while we're temporarily closed.
For the latest updates about reopening, booking tickets and what's happening at the Museum, sign up to our newsletter.
What to expect when we reopen
- Entry to the Museum is now ticketed, both for the free, permanent collection and paid exhibitions. All visitors, including Members and volunteers, need to book a timed slot in advance. Please note that some galleries remain closed.
- Face coverings are required for the protection of yourself and others, unless you're exempt.
- There's a one-way route signposted through the Museum, which is easy to follow. Please see the list of available galleries below.
- We ask that you keep a safe distance apart during your visit. Staff are on-hand to advise and there are markers throughout the Museum to guide you. Please be considerate of other visitors and staff.
- Hand sanitiser stations can be found throughout the Museum. Please wash or sanitise your hands regularly.
- We've introduced extra cleaning measures for your protection.
- Some of our cafés and shops will be open – contactless payment is preferred.
- Please do not visit if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Under the UK Government’s NHS Test and Trace scheme, we're required to ask every visitor over the age of 16 to provide their contact details for Test and Trace.
Please follow government guidelines during your visit and avoid mixing with people outside of your household or support bubble while inside the Museum.
Entering the Museum
- Entry to the Museum is via the Main entrance on Great Russell Street. The Montague Place entrance is currently exit only.
- The Main entrance closes at 16.00 and the Museum closes at 17.00. On Fridays the Main entrance closes at 19.30 and the Museum closes at 20.30.
- Please arrive at the time stated on your ticket – we cannot guarantee admission before or after your allotted time slot.
- All visitors must pass through a security check which involves a bag search.
- An easy access route is available for disabled visitors, Members and visitors with pushchairs and/or children under five.
- If you require more information on accessibility for disabled visitors, please see our Accessibility at the Museum page for details.
Security and bag searches
We have a wide range of services for disabled visitors.
Find out how to make the most of your visit and plan your trip in advance on our Accessibility at the Museum page.