Stefano Cardu (Biographical details)

Stefano Cardu (architect; Italian; Male; 1849 - 1933)

Also known as

Cardu, Stefano

Biography

Italian-born Cardu went to Siam in 1879 where he was employed as a draftsman for the Siamese government. Two years later he left government service to start his own architectural practice, S. Cardu & Co. The firm's projects included the palace of Prince Chaturonratsami (1879), European-style kiosks for a royal cremation (1888), blocks of Privy Purse shophouses in Bangkok (1889), and the Royal Military College (1890-2). At its height, Cardu's practice employed two architects, an engineer, three draftsmen, and five native clerks. In 1900 Cardu closed the company to return to Italy, where he spent the rest of his days in Sardinia. Cardu had also been a collector of antiquities from Siam and elsewhere in Asia, and in 1913 he donated his collection to the city of Cargliari in Sardinia, where it formed the core holding of the Museo d'Arte Siamese.

Pirasri Povatong, 'Building Siwilai: Transformation of Architecture and Architectural Practice in Siam during the Reign of Rama V, 1868 - 1910', PhD thesis, University of Michigan, 2011, pp. 129-30.