Cramer, Addison & Beale (Biographical details)

Cramer, Addison & Beale (publisher/printer; manufacturer/factory; British; 1824 - 1964)

Also known as

Cramer, Addison & Beale; Cramer, Beale & Co; Cramer, Beale & Chappell; Cramer, Beale & Wood; Cramer, Wood & Co; Cramer & Co; J B Cramer & Co

Address

201 Regent Street, London 201 Regent Street & 67 Conduit Street 207 & 209, Regent Street 126, Oxford Street 139, New Bond Street

Biography

Music publishers and manufacturers of musical instruments; Cramer, Addison & Beale was founded in 1824 by Johann Baptist Cramer (q.v.), Robert Addison and Thomas Frederick Beale. Cramer left in 1833 (though the business continued to carry his name), Addison followed in 1844, at which point the company traded as Cramer, Beale & Co. Beale then formed a partnership with William Chappell (Cramer, Beale & Chappell) who retired in 1861. Then partnership with George Wood in 1862 (Cramer, Beale & Wood); Beale left by 1864 and the business continued as Cramer, Wood & Co. In 1964 it was taken over by piano makers Kemble & Co, who traded under the name of J B Cramer & Co for a while.