Giulio Mazzoni (Biographical details)

Giulio Mazzoni (Italian; Male; 1525 - 1618)

Also known as

Mazzoni, Giulio

Biography

Stuccatore, painter and sculptor. Giulio Mazzoni, b. Piacenza probably in the second half of the 1520s (deduction from Vasari), d. there, not earlier than 1589 (see below). Bertolotti ('Modenesi', p. 29) without supporting evidence states: "Visse fino al principio del seguente secolo e morì in patria ...". In 1543 M. was in Florence assisting Vasari (Vasari, vii, pp. 70, 672) whom in 1544 he accompanied to Naples (vii, p. 674), where, at Monte Oliveto, Vasari resolved "a fare tutte le volte di esso refettorio lavorate di stucchi"; M. presumably returned to Rome with Vasari in 1546 (vi, p. 228). According to Vasari, M. learnt stucco-work from Daniele da Volterra; Celio (p. 46) refers to him as "discepolo di Perino del Vago" (d. 1547).
In Rome M. carried out stucco-work and paintings in Palazzo Spada (see 5210.75), built by Cardinal Capodiferro and nearing completion by Apr. 1550 (Neppi, doc. 3). We agree with Neppi in attributing to M. the decoration of the Galleria degli Stucchi, the Sala delle Stagioni and possibly part of the chapel, also the friezes in the Stanze di Callisto and Perseo; but would add the Stanza d'Amore e Psiche (in part based on engravings by M. Coxcie, B. xv, p. 211ff., 39-70), the frieze in the Stanza di Perseo and possibly that in the Stanza dei Fasti Romulei (we see Bertoia's hand in the ceiling of the latter and in at least one painting in the Sala di Enea, Neppi, fig. 33). Attribution to M. of façade and cortile stucchi seems well-founded. S. M. sopra Minerva, marble bust of Francesco Neri, d. 1563 (Vasari). Vatican: Sala Regia, two stucco figures (payment 10 June 1563, see Bertolotti, 'Modenesi', p. 60); Chapel of St Martin and St Sebastian, decorated 1567-8 (Lanciani, lv, p. 9; see also Pastor, xvii, pp. 119f), frescoes of the Saints and 'Virgin and Child with St Anne', now detached and in the Pinacoteca. S. M. del Popolo, l. transept, 2nd chapel, stucchi, frescoes and statues (signed), after 1569 (Bentivoglio-Valtieri, 'S. Maria del Popolo a Roma', Rome, 1976, pp. 94ff.). 26 May 1573, M. valued stucchi by Luzio Romano in Vatican (Bertolotti, op. cit., p. 30). S. M. degli Angeli, laterals in 1st chapel on l. after the crossing, founded 1574 (G. Matthiae, 'S. Maria degli Angeli', Rome, 1965, p. 76): 'Apocalyptic Scene and Supporters of the Building's Conversion to a Church' (repr. B. Salvetti, 'S. Maria degli Angeli ...', Rome, 1964, pp. 123ff.).
In Piacenza by 1576 (see Pettorelli, p. 19). From 1 Jan. 1577 (idem, p.21) payments for decoration, destroyed 1789, consisting of "figure e rabeschi su fondo d'oro" of vaults of arms of (Greek-cross-plan) S. M. di Campagna: receipt for payment dated 25 Apr. 1589 is last known record (see A. Corna, 'Storia ed arte in S. Maria di Campagna', Bergamo, 1908, pp. 147 and 238). 1581 documented in Rome (Bertolotti, op. cit., p. 61).
A painting of the 'Penitent (nude) Magdalen kneeling in a Landscape', formerly in the collection of Sir Howard Kerr, would appear to be by M. (photo Courtauld Institute, there attributed to Sodoma).

Bibliography

Gere & Pouncey 1983
Thieme-Becker (1930), with previous bibliography; A. Pettorelli, Giulio Mazzoni da Piacenza, Genoa, 1921: L. Ozzola, 'Una scultura inedita di Giulio Mazzoni', Bollettino storico piacentino, xxx (1935), pp. 28ff.; G. Bernardi Salvetti, 'Le tre dame coronate nel quadro di Giulio Mazzoni il Piacentino', L'Urbe, 30 (1967), pp. 29ff.; P. Dreyer, 'Giulio Mazzoni as a draughtsman', MD, vi (1968), pp. 21ff.; Restauri, 1970-1; L. Neppi, Palazzo Spada, publ. Banca Nazionale dell'Agricoltura, Rome, 1975, (very fully illustrated).