Collection online

jewellery-case / chain / bracelet

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1987,0302.1

  • Description

    Bracelet; gold; decorated in the Assyrian style with applied and enamelled figures in a chariot, hunting lions; palm tree to left and two vultures hovering above; enamelled in blue, gold, red and green; flat, hinged band with snap fastening and safety chain; the back plain with borders of engraved foliate ornament; contained in the original dark, red leather case with blue silk lining.

    More 

  • Producer name

  • School/style

  • Date

    • 1872
  • Production place

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 3.1 centimetres
    • Width: 6.4 centimetres
    • Height: 6.8 centimetres (case)
    • Width: 8.2 centimetres (case)
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Type

        mark
      • Inscription Comment

        Applied diamond design registration mark for 8.7.1872, bundle no.6.
  • Curator's comments

    For full discussion of this piece and the original design registration drawings, see J. Rudoe, 'Assyrian-style Jewellery', Antique Collector April 1989. pgs 42-48. Fig. 3. The scene is copied loosely from one of the Ashurbanipal lion hunt reliefs in the BM.
    See also J. Rudoe, 'Henry Layard et les arts decoratifs du style "Nineve" en Angleterre' in 'De Korsabad a Paris, La decouvert des Assyriens', ed. E. Fontan. Paris 1994, pp.260-73, pls. 6-7 (published by the Louvre as a volume of essays to accompany an exhibition at the Louvre).
    For a more recent account of the Assyrian revival in jewellery, see C. Gere & J. Rudoe, 'Jewellery in the Age of Queen Victoria: A Mirror to the World', London, British Museum, 2010, pp. 387-397 (the bracelet is illustrated as fig. 363, p.393).

    More 

  • Location

    On display: G47/dc9

  • Exhibition history

    Exhibited:
    2000 8 Jun-15 Oct, Sweden, Stockholm, Nationalmuseum, Excellent Jewellery From Five Centuries

  • Subjects

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1987

  • Acquisition notes

    The design for this bracelet was registered as one of seven similar designs on 8/7/1872 by J F Backes & Sons (Patent Office Register of Ornamental Designs BT 43/32); the donors are the current successors of this firm. For circumstances of acquisition and gift by Backes & Strauss, seee object file.

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1987,0302.1


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCT2086

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...