Collection online

pendant

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1978,1002.1095

  • Description

    Enamelled gold pendant set with pearls, in the form of a quatrefoil with a central blue-stained chalcedony surrounded by four lobes of red enamel on a tooled-gold ground with a scalloped border. The reverse is decorated with red and blue champlevé enamel. Inscription and maker's mark.

  • Producer name

  • Date

    • 1898-1902
  • Production place

    • Made in: Bologna
    • (Europe,Italy,Emilia-Romagna,Bologna (province),Bologna (city))
  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 7.6 centimetres (including loop)
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Type

        inscription
      • Inscription Position

        pendant loop
      • Inscription Language

        Latin
      • Inscription Content

        MARCHI BOLOGNA AEMILIA ARS
      • Inscription Translation

        The Emilian art of Marchi, Bologna
      • Inscription Comment

        see curator's comment
      • Inscription Type

        inscription
      • Inscription Position

        reverse
      • Inscription Language

        Latin
      • Inscription Content

        RAPHAEL CAECILIAE CAECILIA TIBI:QV
      • Inscription Translation

        As Raphael to Cecilia, so Cecilia [gives] to you
  • Curator's comments

    Text from catalogue of the Hull Grundy Gift (Gere et al 1984) no 1018:
    This pendant is a copy of the jewel worn by St Cecilia in the painting by Raphael of La Sacra Conversazione, showing St Cecilia with SS Paul, John the Evangelist, Augustine and Mary Magdalene, painted for the Pucci chapel dedicated to Saint Cecilia in S. Giovanni al Monte in Bologna and installed in 1514. The picture was taken to Paris by Napoleon in 1798, but returned to Bologna in 1815; it has hung since then in the Pinacoteca Nazionale (Fig.104). The pendant has been faithfully copied, even to the details of the engraved ornament under the translucent enamel in the four lobes on the front. The inscription on the reverse suggests a special commission for a donor whose name was also Cecilia. This is a rare example of Italian historicism and the use of pictorial sources in the design of jewellery, an established practice in England, notably in the work of Robert Phillips (see 1002, 1006, 1007).
    Luigi Marchi (1824-1906), goldsmith of Bologna, is known to have run his workshop from 1854 to 1888. His son Raffaele Angelo (b.1855), who is recorded as working with him, died in 1909 (see Bulgari 1958-74, part 4). (Charlotte Gere)

    Supplementary information to catalogue of Hull Grundy Gift:
    'Aemilia Ars' was an arts and crafts society founded in Bologna in 1898. See 'The Studio', 29, 1903, p. 222-7 with designs for jewellery by Alfonso Rubbiani. This pendant is not illustrated in the 'Studio' article, but a pendant of the same design, after the St Cecilia jewel, was exhibited at the International Exhibition of Decorative Arts in Turin in 1902 (see F. Solmi and M. Dezzi Bardeschi, 'Alfonso Rubbiani: I Veri e i Falsi Storici', exhibition catalogue, Galeria d'Art Moderna, Bologna 1981, p. 271). For further information on Aemilia Ars, see exhibition catalogue, 'Aemilia Ars, Arts & Crafts a Bologna 1898-1903', Musei Comunale, Bologna, 2001; this pendant was included as cat. no. 23. Another version of the St Cecilia jewel by Aemilia Ars was sold Christies London, 11 October 1995, lot 56. See also C. Gere and J. Rudoe, 'Knowledge, Money and Time: Anne Hull Grundy as a Collector of Victorian Jewellery', Journal of the Decorative Arts Society, vol. 24, 2000, p. 95 and Fig. 20.

    More 

  • Bibliography

    • Gere et al 1984 1018 bibliographic details
  • Location

    On display: G47/dc10

  • Exhibition history

    Exhibited:
    2001: 24 Feb-17 Jun, Italy, Bologna, Collezione Comunali d’Arte, 'Aemilia Ars 1898-1903: Arts and Crafts a Bologna', Cat. 23.

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1978

  • Acquisition notes

    Armytage Clarke, 9 Blenheim Street, New Bond Street, London W1. Original invoice for £2,500 to Anne Hull Grundy dated 8.9.1980, described as 'Gold, enamel, blue chalcedony and pearl pendant by "Marchi"'.

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1978,1002.1095

  • Additional IDs

    • HG.1095 (masterlist number)
COMPASS Title: Enamelled gold pendant after Raphael

Unknown

COMPASS Title: Enamelled gold pendant after Raphael

Image description

Recommend


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCT4873

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...