Collection online

tile

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1980,1010.1

  • Description

    Earthenware tile, solid buff body with raised decoration painted with blue and gold lustre under a clear glaze, featuring a winged griffin facing left, with foliage. Maker's mark on reverse.

  • Producer name

  • Date

    • 1900 (circa)
  • Production place

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Length: 15.3 centimetres
    • Width: 15.3 centimetres
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Type

        maker's mark
      • Inscription Position

        reverse
      • Inscription Content

        P
      • Inscription Comment

        In the centre of a hand-combed grid.
  • Curator's comments

    This design is very close to signed work by Gordon Forsyth, see for exmaple, a tall vase with similar heraldic lion, illustrated in A.J. Cross, 'Pilkington's Royal Lancastian Pottery and Tiles', London 1980, p. 35, col.pl. XXII. Tiles of this design formed part of the fireplace exhibited by Pilkington's at the Franco-British Exhibition in Paris of 1908, see Cross 1980, pp. 36-7, pls. 38A and 39.
    Pilkington's began experimenting with lustres following the 1900 Paris Exhibition, at which many international decorative designers had entered impressive pieces. The firm first exhibited lustre wares at the 1906 Arts and Crafts exhibition. For an account of Pilkington's experimentation with lustres in the early 20th century, see J. Hanson, 'Lustre Pottery', 'Pilkington's Lancastrian Pottery Society Newsletter', Vol. 1 (1998-9), pp. 97-101 and J. Hanson, 'William Burton and Lewis Day at the Paris Exhibition', 'Pilkington's Lancastrian Pottery Society Newsletter', Vol. 1 (1998-9), pp. 29-31. For an account of the experimentation with lustres and other new glazes by William Burton, the Managing Director of Pilkington's during the turn of the century, see W. Burton, 'Recent Advances in Pottery Decoration', reprinted in 'Pilkington's Lancastrian Pottery Society Newsletter', Vol. 1 (1998-9), pp. 31-34

    More 

  • Location

    On display: G34/dc5

  • Exhibition history

    Exhibited:
    Displayed in Addis Gallery lustre case since 2004

  • Subjects

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1980

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1980,1010.1

There is no image of this object, or there may be copyright restrictions

Image service:

Request new photography

Recommend


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCT5577

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...