Collection online

drawing

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1859,1210.919

  • Description

    The Blockhouse at Gravesend; view from the West, up the Thames from the Kentish shore, on the left, the blockhouse with a flag flying and three cannons on the outer earthworks, and a ship in mid-river on the right Pen and light brown ink, with grey wash

  • Producer name

  • School/style

  • Date

    • 1630-1666 (c.)
  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 95 millimetres
    • Width: 182 millimetres
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Content

        Inscribed in grey ink: "CB" [?] Verso: inscribed in brown ink: "Het Kasteel Te Schravesende door, Klots fg [?]"
  • Curator's comments

    The blockhouse was one of two forts built by Henry VIII at this strategic point on the Thames between 1539-43. This drawing was acquired in 1859 as the work of Valentin Klotz (fl. 1667-91), a Dutch topographical draughtsman and engineer, but there was no evidence he visited England so Laurence Binyon attributed it to Bol on the basis of the initials CB and a stylistic similarity to Bol's etchings after Abraham Casembrot. Martin Royalton-Kisch has noted that the style resembles that of Josua de Grave, and the 'CB' initials do not form a wholly convincing monogram (MRK, 2004)

    Stainton & White 1987
    Following the old inscription on the verso, this drawing was once thought to be by Valentin Klotz (fl. 1667-91), a Dutch topographical draughtsman and military engineer. However, there is no evidence that he visited England, and the drawing was reattributed by Binyon to Cornelis Bol on the basis of the initials "CB" and a stylistic similarity with Bol's etchings after Abraham Casembrot.
    The blockhouse was one of two such forts built at Gravesend, a strategic point on the Thames, in 1539-43, during the reign of Henry VIII: it may also be seen on the right-hand side of a drawing by Van de Velde the Elder (1854,0628.80).

    More 

  • Bibliography

    • Binyon 1898-1907 1 bibliographic details
    • Croft-Murray 1960 1 bibliographic details
    • Stainton & White 1987 33 bibliographic details
  • Location

    Not on display (Dutch Roy XVIIc)

  • Exhibition history

    1987 June-Aug, BM Hilliard to Hogarth no.33 1987 Sept-Nov, New Haven, Hilliard to Hogarth

  • Subjects

  • Associated places

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1859

  • Department

    Prints & Drawings

  • Registration number

    1859,1210.919

The Blockhouse at Gravesend; view W, up the Thames from the Kentish shore, on the l, the blockhouse with a flag flying and three cannons on the outer earthworks, and a ship in mid-river on the r Pen and light brown ink, with grey wash

Recto

The Blockhouse at Gravesend; view W, up the Thames from the Kentish shore, on the l, the blockhouse with a flag flying and three cannons on the outer earthworks, and a ship in mid-river on the r Pen and light brown ink, with grey wash

Image description

Recommend


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: PDB1341

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...