Collection online

seal-impression / seal / counterplate

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1913,1105.3

  • Description

    Circular bronze seal-matrix from Langdon Priory with dies of seal and counter-seal with projections for fitting the two. On the obverse is a Virgin and Child seated in a canopied niche on a corbel with seven sunk quatrefoil panels and an arch with five cusps. On either side are four stories of double arches enclosing a lozenge-pattern. On the reverse is a scene of the Martyrdom of St Thomas in Canterbury Cathedral, which is shown with central spire, roof diapered lozengy and two gabled ends having three stories of double arches. Background diapered lozengy with a flower in each lozenge. Both sides have legends around pearled borders. With wax impressions.

    More 

  • Culture/period

  • Date

    • 13thC(late)
  • Production place

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Diameter: 6.6 centimetres
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Type

        inscription
      • Inscription Position

        reverse
      • Inscription Language

        Latin
      • Inscription Content

        CAVSA: DOMVS: XPI: MORTEM: SIC: IRTVLIT ISTI
      • Inscription Type

        inscription
      • Inscription Language

        Latin
      • Inscription Content

        SIGILL' . COMMVNE MONASTERII: ECCE: DE MARIE: DE: LANGEDON
  • Curator's comments

    Text from 'Good Impressions: Image and Authority in Medieval Seals', ed. Adams, Cherry and Robinson. British Museum 2008. Handlist no.1.3
    Seal from Langdon Priory.
    This seal from Kent combines the patron saint of the priory, the Virgin Mary, with a scene depicting the murder of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Cathedral there in 1170.Text from 'Catalogue of British Seal-Dies in the British Museum', A.B. Tonnochy, London 1952, cat. no. 844.
    The abbey of St. Mary and St. Thomas the Martyr, Langdon, was founded by William de Aubervilla, and colonised from the abbey of Leiston, Suffolk. The charter was witnessed by Hubert, Bishop-elect of Salisbury, and must therefore be dated 1189 ('V.C.H. Kent', ii, pp.169,171)

    More 

  • Bibliography

    • Adams et al 2008 1.3 bibliographic details
    • Tonnochy 1952 844 bibliographic details
  • Location

    Not on display

  • Exhibition history

    Exhibited:

    2001 18 Jan-18 Mar, Leeds, Henry Moore Institute, Homes for the Soul: Micro-Architecture in Medieval & Contemporary Art

  • Subjects

  • Associated names

  • Associated places

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1913

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1913,1105.3


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCM4308

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...