Collection online

shotel

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    Af1868,1001.28.a

  • Description

    Shotel forged from iron with sickle shaped blade, carved wood hilt and circular, domed, cast [?] brass pommel. The pommel is attached to the hilt by a central iron nail.

  • Date

    • 19thC
  • Production place

  • Findspot

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 111 centimetres (a + b)
    • Width: 32.5 centimetres (a + b)
    • Depth: 7 centimetres (a + b)
  • Curator's comments

    See file in Eth Doc 439 in AOA Archives on transfer of these objects from former Medieval & Later Dept.

  • Location

    Not on display

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1868

  • Acquisition notes

    Maqdala, an almost impenetrable mountain top fortress in northern Ethiopia, became the seat of power and a retreat for Emperor Tewodros II (1855-1868). The Emperor intended Maqdala to become his capital and treasury. He collected many manuscripts from churches throughout Ethiopia and brought them to Maqdala with the intention of creating a great library and seat of learning. His treasury included many fine examples of Ethiopian art including textiles, paintings and metal work. In the 1860s relations between Tewodros and Britain became strained and relations deteriorated further when Tewodros imprisoned the British consul and several European missionaries. In 1867 a military expedition led by Sir Robert Napier was sent to free the British captives with a force made up of 12,000 men from both the British and Indian armies. At dawn on Easter Monday April 13th 1868, Napier ordered an assault on Maqdala to destroy Tewodros’s stronghold. When his troops entered the fortress they found the Emperor already dead. Rather than surrender, Tewodros had taken his own life using a pistol which had been a gift from Queen Victoria. This last defiant act has immortalised Tewodros as a national hero for many Ethiopians. Material taken from Maqdala was auctioned soon after on the Delanta plain. Richard Rivington Holmes, an assistant in the manuscripts department of The British Museum, had accompanied the expedition as an archaeologist. He acquired a number of objects for the British Museum, including around 300 manuscripts which are now housed in the British Library. In 1868 the Secretary of State for India, Sir Stafford Henry Northcote, 1st Earl of Iddesleigh, donated to The British Museum two further collections of material from Maqdala. Material from Maqdala can be found in public collections in North America and Europe as well as in private collections worldwide. When the Maqdala collections first entered the British Museum in 1868 they stimulated a worldwide interest in the archaeology, history and culture of Ethiopia which has continued to this day. For Tewodros’ library see Rita Pankhurst ‘The Library of Emperor Tewodros II…’ Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 36(1), 1973 pp 15-42.

  • Department

    Africa, Oceania & the Americas

  • Registration number

    Af1868,1001.28.a

Sheath for shotel made of leather, decorated on the outer surfaces with a layer of red saffian leather tooled with linear decorations. The sheath is stitched centrally along one side with leather thread using a herring bone stitch. The top edge of the opening is decorated with leather whip stitching. A leather belt with a large metal buckle is stitched to the top of the sheath with decorative green leather overstitching and bands of red leather. The pin of the buckle is engraved with a cruciform decorations.

Sheath for shotel made of leather, decorated on the outer surfaces with a layer of red saffian leather tooled with linear decorations. The sheath is stitched centrally along one side with leather thread using a herring bone stitch. The top edge of the opening is decorated with leather whip stitching. A leather belt with a large metal buckle is stitched to the top of the sheath with decorative green leather overstitching and bands of red leather. The pin of the buckle is engraved with a cruciform decorations.

Image description

Recommend


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: EAF30186

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...