Phone: +44 (0)20 7323 8416
Department of Asia
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DG
The Department of Asia covers the material and visual cultures of Asia.
This is a vast area covering central, east, south and southeast Asia, and Siberia.
The Collection has been enriched by Buddhist paintings from the Dunhuang caves in Central Asia and the Admonitions of the Court Instructress painting, plus one of the best collections of Chinese ceramics in the world.
Our South Asian collections include the celebrated limestone Buddhist reliefs from Amaravati, our extensive Korean collection highlights a number of ornamental works of celadon as well as Goryeo lacquer and metalwork.
The Museum's Japanese collection includes an outstanding range of early Japanese antiquities and later paintings, prints and decorative arts.
The Southeast Asian collections are extraordinarily rich, covering the numerous cultures of the region. The objects range from Hindu and Buddhist sculpture, coins, lacquer, and Thai banner paintings to the material culture of the Dayak people on Borneo and exquisite Javanese theatrical objects.
History of the collection
- Mica Benjamin-Mannix – Administrator
- Yi Chen – Curator: Early Chinese Collections
- Tim Clark – Curator: Head of Japanese Collections
- Alexandra Green – Henry Ginsburg Curator for Southeast Asia
- Alfred Haft – JTI Project Curator, Japanese Collections
- Jessica Harrison-Hall – Curator: Chinese Ceramics and Vietnam
- Sushma Jansari – Tabor Foundation Curator: Early South Asia
- Yu-Ping Luk – Basil Gray Curator: Chinese Paintings Prints and Central Asia
- Carol Michaelson -– Project Curator: Chinese Collections, Jade
- Jane Portal – Keeper of Asia with speciality in China and Korea
- Imma Ramos – Curator: South Asia
- Elka Smith – Senior Administrator: ERC Research Project
- Mei Xin Wang – Resource Specialist: China
- Michael Willis – Principal Investigator: ERC Research Project
- Akiko Yano – Mitsubishi Corporation Curator: Japanese Collections
The work of the department is supported by a team of Collections Managers and administrative staff.