Department of Africa , Oceania and Americas
Phone: +44 (0)20 7323 8041
Department of Africa, Oceania and Americas
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
Anthropology Library and Research Centre
Phone: +44 (0)20 7323 8031
The collection of the Department of Africa, Oceania and the Americas holds about 350,000 objects.
They represent the cultures of the indigenous peoples of four continents. The scope of the collection is contemporary, archaeological and historical, and includes a large pictorial collection. It spans most of Africa (outside ancient Egypt, Sudan and the Mediterranean), the Pacific and Australia, as well as North, Central and South America and the Caribbean.
Most of the collections were acquired during the 19th and 20th centuries, though research and collecting continues today.
- Julie Adams – Curator: Oceania
- Helen Anderson – Project Curator: Africa
- Ceri Ashley – Head: Endangered Material Knowledge Programme
- Lissant Bolton – Keeper of Africa Oceania and the Americas
- Ben Burt – Curator: Oceania
- Imogen Coulson – Project Curator: Africa
- Julie Hudson – Curator: Africa
- James Hamill – Curator: Africa
- Sam Nixon – Head: Africa Section
- Gaye Sculthorpe – Head: Oceania Section
- Rose Taylor – Curator: Americas
- Danny Zborover – Head: Americas Section
The work of the department is supported by a team of Collections Managers and administrative staff.