Phone: +44 (0)20 7323 8016
Formerly known as the King's Library, this room was built between 1823 and 1827 and was the first part of the new Museum building as it is seen today.
Careful restoration work between 2000 and 2003 revived the original room to its previous glory, in time to celebrate the Museum's 250th anniversary. Cleaning and repairs to the oak and mahogany floor and classical architectural features have refreshed the space. Hundreds of square metres of plaster were cleaned and repaired to restore the yellow and gold ornamentation and the re-gilded balcony.
- Before 10.00 Mondays – Fridays
- After 17.30 Mondays – Thursdays
- After 20.30 Fridays
- Lighting restrictions: natural and artificial light, only cold-lamp/low-level lighting permitted
- There's no access to the balcony
- Some sections of the display may have filming restrictions due to loan items from other institutions
- All filming gear must placed on 8mm rubber mats to protect the hardwood floor