- Also known as
Harvey & Gore
primary name: Harvey & Gore
- organisation; dealer/auction house; goldsmith/metalworker; British
- Other dates
- 1723- (founded)
- Nos.1 & 2, Vigo Street, Regent Street, London (1820)
Formerly at the Blue Boar within Aldgate (1720)
- Firm of London jewellers established in Aldgate as Alston and Grayhurst in 1723, though older versions of their logo use the date 1720. In 1812 they became Grayhurst and Harvey and moved to 61 Strand.
The firm became Harvey and Gore in 1869, during which time they were based at 126 Regent Street. They subsequently moved to 1 Vigo Street.
Since 1952 several generations of the Norman family have been involved with the dealership which exhibited at many of the Grosvenor House fairs. They were based at number 4 Burlington Gardens for several years-including the period during which Mrs Hull Grundy formed the majority of her collection.
Now owned by Alastair and Sally Norman, the firm is based within Richard Ogden in the Burlington Arcade. Alastair's brother Nigel, formerly of the family firm, now operates his own jewellery business from within Grays Antiques.
The firm's logo includes the sign of a boar, representing the Blue Boar Inn close to the firm's original location in Aldgate. The cartouche used in the present letterhead (and illustrated on three trade cards in the museum's collection) is said to have been designed by William Hogarth. Three trade cards and a bill-head in Heal Collection. Heal,67.200 is a sheet mounted with two trade cards and a bill-head. The trade cards advertise "Harvey & Gore. 1, Vigo Street, London W. Formerly at the Blue Boar within Algate 1720. Dealers in Antique Jewellery, Old Sheffield Plate & Silver." The bill-head states "Harvey & Gore, W.E. Axford, Proprietor. Late Alston & Grayhurst, at the Blue Boar within Aldgate, 1720. Late Grayhurst & Harvey, Formerly of Strand & Regent Street. Jewellers, Goldsmiths and Silversmiths...Dealers in Antique & Second Hand Plate." Heal's annotations on mount: "Alston & Grayhurst 1720 at the Blue Boar within Aldgate. Grayhurst hardwareman, 4, within Aldgate, see Complete Guide 1777. Grayhurst & Harvey at 65 Strand 1810-1830. Harvey & Gore, Vigo St. 1870..." Heal,67.199 advertises ""Harvey & Gore. 1, Vigo Street, London W. Formerly at the Blue Boar within Algate 1720. Dealers in Antique Jewellery, Old Sheffield Plate & Silver." Heal,67.198 advertises "Formerly At the Blue Boar within Aldgate, 1723. The Old Shop Sign. Harvey & Gore beg to enclose the following articles with their best respects." Bill-head (Heal,52.55) states "Harvey & Gore, W.E. Axford, Proprietor. Jewellers, Goldsmiths and Silversmiths. 1 & 2 Vigo Street... Dealers in Antique & Second Hand Plate. Late Alston & Grayhurst At The Blue Boar within Aldgate, 1720. Late Grayhurst & Harvey, Formerly of Strand & Regent St."