- Also known as
H. Williamson Ltd
primary name: H Williamson Ltd
joint name for 'H Williamson Ltd' with 'Grimshaw, Baxter & J.J. Elliott': ECWM
joint name for 'H Williamson Ltd' with 'Grimshaw, Baxter & J.J. Elliott': English Clock and Watch Manufacturers Ltd
other name: Williamson, H
- organisation; clockmaker/watchmaker; manufacturer/factory
- Other dates
- Coventry, Salisbury & La Chaux de Fonds
Showroom 77-79 Farrington Road, London
- Founded by Henry Williamson (c.1844-1914), the company was initially a jewellers and watchmakers. Henry's children, Alfred, Charles and Alice also joined the business. Charles was named a director of the company, and on his retirement he made Charles, together with his assistan Willaim Tucker, both managing directors.
Clocks were made mainly in the Salisbury factory until 1909 when it was destroyed by fire. The operation was then transferred to the expanded Coventry factory where it remained. In 1914 H W Williamson died.
In c1921 the company merged with Grimshaw, Baxter and J.J. Elliott (q.v.) (sometimes known simply as 'Grimshaw') and becoming 'The English Watch and Clock Manufacturers Ltd' but the two companies continued to trade and advertise under their original names until the ECWM was bought from receivers by Smiths (q.v.) in 1932.
- Nye, J. (2014), "A Long Time in Making The History of Smiths", Oxford University Press, Oxford
'Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century: The Industrialized Manufacture of Domestic Mechanical Clocks' by John Glanville & William M Wolmuth. Pub. The Crowood Press Ltd. 2015