- Also known as
Glasshouse Street pothouse
primary name: Glasshouse Street pothouse
other name: Glasshouse Street Pottery (Lambeth)
other name: Vauxhall China Works
other name: Vauxhall Porcelain Factory
- individual; manufacturer/factory; English
- Life dates
- Glasshouse Street, Lambeth (or Vauxhall).
- Glasshouse Street was probably the last of the English delftware pothouses, manufacturing delftware from 1743-1784; and then again from 1823 up to 1846. As well as tin-glazed ware, experimental porcelain was manufactured between 1752 and 1763 based on experiments by John Sanders and Nicholas Crisp. Between 1784 and 1823, stoneware not delftware was made there. John Sanders founded the pothouse no later than 1743 and also opened another delftware pothouse at Mortlake between 1743 and 1745. Sanders was partnered by Nicholas Crisp from 1751 until 1758 when Sanders died leaving the pottery to his son William and son-in-law Henry Richards (1758-72). Henry was succeeded by his son John Richards (1772-84). There then followed a long period when only stoneware was manufactured at Glasshouse Street by Henry Bingham and the Moss brothers (1784-1823). Delftware manufacture resumed in 1823 under John Wisker (owner at Mortlake 1809-23 which ceased production in that year); continuing from 1835 under Alfred Singer until it finally ended in 1846 when the site was sold to a railway company. 18thC delftware products included household wares such as bowls, plates (some with bianco sopra bianco decoration), saucers (some decorated with foliage and insects in red, green and blue), cups, mugs and wall/hearth tiles; and ointment pots (some inscribed with the name and address of a local pharmacist). 19thC delftware products appear to have been confined to a very limited range including thick-based ointment pots with dark blue tin-glaze on the outside and pale blue on the inside, and mosaic wall tiles decorated in either blue, yellow or green tin-glaze.
- F.Britton 'London Delftware' (London, 1987) pp 61-3.
B.M.Watney ''The Vauxhall China Works 1751-64', Transactions of the English Ceramic Circle, volume 13 part 3, 1989, pp 212-27.
Ceramics of Vauxhall - 18th century Pottery and Porcelain (edited by Roger Massey, Felicity Marno and Simon Spero) (London, 2007).
K.Tyler, I.Betts and R.Stephenson 'London's delftware industry: the tin-glazed pottery industries of Southwark and Lambeth' (London, 2008) pp 105-110.