- Museum number
Fragment of limestone slab with fragmentary 10 line South Arabian inscription recording the dedication to Almaqah by Asad, who built the peristyle of the temple and founded the city walls of Hirran.
Height: 20 centimetres
Height: 6 inches
Thickness: 7 centimetres
Width: 15.50 centimetres
Width: 8 inches
Depth: 2.50 inches
- Curator's comments
There is some discrepancy in the translations of the inscription between the exhibition label and the record card.
Bowers catalogue entry
Sabaean dedicatory inscription referring to a temple and city fortifications
Height 20 cm, width 15.5 cm, thickness 7 cm
Said to be from a site north of Aden
ANE 1907-1-12,2 = 102458
Presented by Princess Louise of Prussia, Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Connaught (1860-1917)
This fragmentary ten-line Sabaean inscription records the dedication of a bronze statue to the god Almaqah by one Asad who refers to his construction of a temple courtyard and the foundation of city-walls at what may be the Awwam temple at Marib. The translation is as follows:
“[Asad] dedicated to Almaqah, Lord of Awwam, this bronze statue because Almaqah aided and defended his servant Asad in that he allowed him ... in the middle of his temple. And with respect to Asad, he built its courtyard and sketched out the walls of the city. And Asad resolved to praise the power and might of Almaqah, Lord of Awwam, since he heard his prayer ..., and he aided and defended ... and delivered him from falling; and because it befell also that should befall to Asad the power of Almaqah, Lord of Awwam”.
This inscription was part of a small collection of South Arabian antiquities which was presented to The British Museum by Princess Louise of Prussia following her marriage to the Duke of Connaught in 1879; she appears to have been given these objects as a regimental wedding gift by the 124th Duchess of Connaught’s Own Baluchistan Infantry, who had previously served in Aden. The inscriptions were described at the time of acquisition as “a group of four fragments of Himyaritic texts cut in relief upon marble. Each fragment belongs to a different text, and each, so far as it can be made out, refers to the dedication of certain buildings to the god Almaqah. They belong to the period about B.C. 700, and all came from one of the sites occupied in former times by the ‘Children of Himyar’ in Hadramaut, to the north of Aden”. However, these inscriptions are not as early as this report suggested.
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
2004-2005 17 Oct-13 Mar, California, Bowers Museum, 'Queen of Sheba: Legend and Reality'
- Incomplete; part of object only; relatively soft limestone; worn surfaces; old restoration to the back enabling it to be secured to the stone base
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Part of a small collection of South Arabian antiquities apparently presented by the 124th Duchess of Connaught's Own Baluchistan Infantry (who had previously served in Aden) to Princess Louise of Prussia in 1879 on the occasion of her marriage to the Duke of Connaught; she in turn presented the collection to The British Museum, where they were reported to the Trustees by Budge on 3 January 1907 and described as being "from the Hadramaut in the neighbourhood of Aden". The four inscriptions were described in the Trustees papers as "A group of four fragments of Himyaritic texts cut in relief upon marble. Each fragment belongs to a different text, and each, so far as it can be made out, refers to the dedication of certain buildings to the god Almaqah. They belong to the period about B.C. 700, and all came from one of the sites occupied in former times by the "Children of Himyar" in Hadhramaut, to the north of the modern seaport of Aden" (Report of Donations, 3/1/07, item 5265). No correspondence located in ANE for 1906/07, nor was this collection recorded in the departmental deposit-book, suggesting that it may have been sent direct to the Directorate.
- Middle East
- BM/Big number
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: CIH 396 (siglum)
Miscellaneous number: RES 847