- Museum number
Jug, made of polychrome glazed pottery. The jug is of globular form with a cylindrical slightly flaring neck and a curved handle with a knop at the juncture with the body, standing on a splayed foot-ring. It is painted in cobalt blue, pale viridian green and dull bole red outlined in black with pomegranate cartouches enclosing triple spots set between bouquets of tulips and further triple spots. Minor bands of meander ornament, beading, arrowheads and coiled scrolls above the foot, at the collar and below the rim. The handle with a blue ladder design. European pewter mounts at foot and mouth with bulbous thumbpiece and hinged lid.
- Production date
- 1590-1600 (circa)
Diameter: 8.30 centimetres (foot)
Diameter: 14.50 centimetres (max)
Diameter: 7.70 centimetres (rim)
Height: 21.40 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- The same sequence of minor bands occurs on the jug G.1983.177. Compare also the jug in the Fitzwilliam Museum with similar pomegranate cartouches and additional English parcel gilt mounts, hallmarked 1592 (See Atasoy and Raby 1989, no. 597). For other similar examples, see Atasoy and Raby 1989, nos. 598 and 599.
- Not on display
- Crack and repair to neck; glaze chips to handle.
- Acquisition date
- Middle East
- Registration number