- Museum number
Limestone frieze with inscription (7 ll) in Numidian; half of a bilingual inscription, the other half being Punic (1852,0305.2); instrumental in deciphering Numidian script which is alphabetic and reads from right to left like Punic; from Punic style mausoleum dedicated to Ateban, a Numidian prince; cracked; surface worn; severe areas of surface loss.
- Production date
- 146BC (about)
Height: 68.58 centimetres
Width: 91.44 centimetres
- Curator's comments
Part of 1852,0305.2 (BM.125226).
The cast is listed as available in the British Museum Facsimile Service 'Catalogue of Replicas from British Museum collections' (n.d.), in the series "West Semitic Inscriptions: Phoenicia".
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
2004-2005 24 Sept-30 Jan, Karlsruhe, Badisches Landesmuseum, 'Hannibal ad portas'
- Fair / poor; cracked; surface worn; severe areas of surface loss.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Note on the file-card by R D Barnett: "The inscription was discovered in 1631 by Thomas d'Arcos who sent a copy of it to Peiresc. In 1842 Sir Thomas Reade, HBM consul at Tunis, had it removed, involving the ruin of the building."
Note on the file-card by J E Curtis: "See L'Egyptologue Conrade Leemans et sa correspondence (Leiden [E J Brill] 1973), p. 31 - Letter to Leemans from C. Falbe, dated 30th May, 1837. reference made to Dugga inscription as follows:- 'Je lui (Sir Gr. Temple) ai fait part de l'enlevement de l'inscription de Dugga par Mr. Reade et quoique, comme Anglais, il doit etre satisfait de voir que ce monument viendra en Angleterre, il desapprouve neamoins qu'on l'ait enleve, parce que cela n'a pu se faire sans causer un grand tort a l'edifice meme.' So, inscription removed in 1837?"
See also ANE Correspondence from Playfair, dated 30 May & 8 June 1876.
- Middle East
- BM/Big number
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: 494 (exhibition number)