- Museum number
Ruins of the Gymnasium at Ephesus; the remains of brick arches supporting solid masonry, with three travellers and tent in left foreground, and Turkish guides in the centre
Pen and grey ink and watercolour, some gum arabic
- Production date
Height: 295 millimetres
Width: 473 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Engraved by William Byrne for 'Ionian Antiquities', Vol II, 1797, pl 39, and in aquatint by Paul Sandby.
This watercolour shows a scene at the beginning of Chandler and Revett's exploration of western Turkey (see Mm, 11.63 for notes from L. Stainton, "British Landscape Watercolours:1600-1860" (BM, exh. cat., 1985) on Chandler and Revett's expedition to Greece and Asia Minor, 1764-66, which Pars accompanied as official draughtsman). Chandler recalled in his "Travels in Asia Minor", 1775 : "We pitched our tent among the [gymnasium's] ruins when we arrived ... and were employed on it three days in taking a plan and view". The three Britons are shown sitting quietly in their tent - one, presumably Pars, is drawing. Turkish servants prepare a meal on an open fire. A considerable amount of weaponry is at hand. Pars is evidently sensitive to the dangers of travel in Turkey and as many as seven rifles and nine pistols can be seen.
In 133 BC the kingdom of Pergamum had been bequeathed to Rome by King Attalus I. Under Roman rule the region prospered. Ephesus was the largest and most important trading centre on the Aegean coast and its population rose to 250,000 in the 1st century AD. The gymnasium with its athletics hall, swimming pool and baths complex was built in the 2nd century AD. By the 6th century the city was in decline, and by the time of Chandler’s expedition it had long been in ruins.
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
2007 Mar-June, Beijing, Palace Museum, Britain meets the World
2021, 24 Mar-5 Sept, London, Sir John Soane's Museum, In Search of Ionia
- Associated titles
Associated Title: Ionian Antiquities
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number