- Museum number
Ruins of Tusculum; an arched overgrown ruin in an extensive landscape with views of hills in the distance. 1817
Pen, ink, wash and graphite on blue paper
- Production date
Height: 470 millimetres (album page)
Height: 258 millimetres
Width: 590 millimetres (album page)
Width: 382 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- For more information see the comment for 2014,7022.1.
The ruins of Tusculum are in the Alban Hills near present day Frascati. This drawing was made on the return journey from Greece to England. (See Joe Rock's website: http://sites.google.com/site/ hughwilliamwilliams which includes information from his PhD thesis on Williams and his article 'Hugh William Williams ('Grecian Williams') 1773-1829', Book of the Old Edinburgh Club, n.s., 5 (2002), 83-91.)
This drawing came to the Museum still mounted on the album page, with 2014,7022.2 mounted on the verso of the album page.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- These drawings came from an album of around 120 drawings, known as the De La Hanty album because it contained the bookplate of Baron Dr. De la Hanty. This is presumably Baron Dr. Cornelius Ver Heydon de Lancy [1889-1984] who married Josephine De la Hanty just prior to World War II. The album was probably sold in his sale on 17 June 1987, where it may have been purchased by Stephen Somerville but we have not been able to confirm this. It was then exhibited by Somerville in 1988 and largely broken up.
This item has an uncertain or incomplete provenance for the years 1933-45. The British Museum welcomes information and assistance in the investigation and clarification of the provenance of all works during that era.
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number