- Museum number
Object: Die Freundschaft
Series: Compositionen und Handzeichnungen aus dem Nachlasse von Franz Pforr
Friendship, allegorical scene after Pforr: two women sit side by side and join hands; a dog stands at their feet at right; on the left, a bag of coins and some keys, and the ouroboros carved on the floor; beyond, an eagle is perched on a windows sill, looking towards the sun rising above the sea and a church spire. c.1832/34
Lithograph with yellow tint stone
- Production date
- 1832-1834 (c)
Height: 238 millimetres (image area)
Width: 179 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- A preparatory sketch in graphite for this composition is in the Städel Museum, see F. Carey, `The Reinvention of the Past: Testaments of Friendship and of Faith` in G. Bartrum (ed.), exhib.cat., BM, London, `German Romantic prints and drawings from an English private collection`, 2011, p.47, fig.14, and K. Gallwitz (ed.), exhib.cat., Städelschen Kunstmuseum, Frankfurt am Main, `Die Nazarener`, 1977, p.199, no.E 41). The subject is described in the latter entry: the eagle is the symbol of St John the Evangelist and thus Friedrich Johannes [= John] Overbeck. The roundel on the parapet (unclear in the present lithograph) contains the initials P O P standing for Passavant, Overbeck, Pforr - a trinity of artists whose binding friendship is summoned in the embracing women. The roundel and date of 1808 are contained in an outline drawing close to the present composition also in the Städel Museum (Frankfurt 1977, op.cit., pp.199-200, no.E 42).
See also comment for 1992,1003.11 with which the present print was published.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number