- Museum number
Château d'Ecouen, elevation of left side of courtyard, with entrance marked by ornate portico, supported by four corinthian columns (between which are niches for two marble figures by Michelangelo), over a double-arched entrance, three details below of a capital, entablature, pedestal and column base
Pen and black ink with grey wash; on vellum
- Production date
- 1570 (c)
Height: 517 millimetres
Width: 758 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- One of four drawings on the Château d'Ecouen drawn by Du Cerceau for this album; see 1972,U.793 for comment on whole series.
The château at Ecouen was razed and completely rebuilt in 1538 under the patronage of its owner, Anne de Montmorency, who employed the major artists of the time (Jean Goujon, Jean Bullant, Bernard Palissy...).
For some reason Du Cerceau did not depict Michelangelo's Slaves (now in the Louvre) which originally stood in the courtyard of Ecouen, although he did mention them in the inscription.
For further comment see Boudon/Mignot, 'Jacques Androuet Du Cerceau', Paris 2010, pp.214-221.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Transferred from the Department of Printed Books.
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number