- Museum number
Château d'Ecouen, bird's eye view of the chateau with at right (NE) an adjoining terrace overlooking the game court, and in the foreground (at SE) a formal garden enclosed by a wall; woods at NW
Pen and black ink with grey wash; on vellum
- Production date
- 1570 (c)
Height: 513 millimetres
Width: 755 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- One of four drawings on the Château d'Ecouen drawn by Du Cerceau for this album; see 1972,U.793 for comment on whole series.
The château at Ecouen was razed and completely rebuilt in 1538 under the patronage of its owner, Anne de Montmorency, who employed the major artists of the time (Jean Goujon, Jean Bullant, Bernard Palissy...).
One of the descriptive notes mentions Michelangelo's Slaves (now in the Louvre) which originally stood in the courtyard of Ecouen.
For further comment see Boudon/Mignot, 'Jacques Androuet Du Cerceau', Paris 2010, pp.214-221.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Transferred from the Department of Printed Books.
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number