book of prints
- Museum number
"The History and Antiquities of the Chapel at Luton Park. A Seat of the most honourable the Marquess of Bute. by H. Shaw" (London: J. Carpenter & Son) 1829, including: a title-page, the text framed by an ornamental border; a dedication to J. Crichton Stuart, the crest of the Bute's family at top; a preface; a descriptive text, showing a small plate entitled 'Door formerly leading to the Abbot's residence'; a list of plates; 19 plates: 2. 'Ground-Plan'; 3. 'Section AA On Plan'; 4. 'Details At Large ...'; 5. 'Section B.B. On Plan'; 6. 'Section C.C On Plan'; 7. 'Pulpit And Clerk's Desk'; 8. 'Section At D.D On Plan'; 9. 'Altar Screen At Large'; 10. 'Section At E.E On Plan'; 11. 'Section At F.F On Plan'; 12. 'Section G.G On Plan'; 13. 'Perspective View. Looking Towards The Chimney Piece'; 14. 'Perspective View. Looking Towards The Altar'; 15. 'Principal Entrance Door', 'Entrance Door Section BB'; 16. 'Door Head At Large ...'; 17. 'Details At Large ...'; 19. 'Ornaments On The Battlements ...'; 20. 'Pateras At Large ...'. Bound in leather with gilt-tooled border.
- Production date
Height: 570 millimetres (approx. sheet size)
Width: 410 millimetres (approx. sheet size)
- Curator's comments
- The series depicts architectural and decorative elements installed in the chapel between 1612 and 1674, and later installed by Lord Bute in a new chapel designed by R. Smirke in 1816. They were destroyed by fire in 1843.
Cataloguing supported by the Elizabeth Cayzer Charitable Trust.
- Not on display
- Associated titles
Associated Title: The History and Antiquities of the Chapel at Luton Park
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number