- Museum number
- Object: Three landscape series by Salomon Gessner (no title)
Album containing three series of overall numbered 32 landscape etchings by Salomon Gessner, with a title-page to the first series; half-bound in red leather with brown covers, title stamped in gold on the spine
1) - 10) First series known as 'Folge der Landschaften in Waterloos Geschmack'; on the first print titled 'X. Paysages. Dediés a Mr. Watelet auteur du poeme sur l'art de peindre. Par son ami S. Gessner.'
11) - 22) Second series known as 'Folge der Landschaften in antikem Geschmack'
23) - 32) Third series known as 'Folge der Landschaften mit mythologischen Figuren'
23) A satyr carrying a nymph through a water, accompanied by two satyrs (no title)
24) Three sleeping nymphs in a cave being watched by a satyr (no title)
25) Four women bathing at a little lake in a wood, one of them bringing a fruit basket to the others sitting under trees at the water's edge (no title)
26) Three nymphs and a amor playing the flute at a fountain between bushes and trees (no title)
27) Scene on a garden terrace with three antique dressed figures; a dealer with a busket full of little figures trying to sell them to two women (no title)
28) Ganymede tending sheeps in a stormy landscape is captured by the eagle (no title)
29) A forest scene with Leda and the swan; Leda sitting on a rock, the swan between her legs; next to them a tiny waterfall running over rocks (no title)
30) Apollo, with bow and arrows, standing next to the defeated dragon Python in a wood (no title)
31) A garden scene with an amor and an antique dressed woman filling a jar at a fountain (no title)
32) Hylas abducted by the nymphs in a wood river (no title)
- Production date
Height: 269 millimetres (album)
Height: 190 millimetres (approx. size of image)
Width: 175 millimetres
Width: 367 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- For description of the individual prints of the first series, see 1868,1212.118 - 1868,1212.127; for the second series, see 1860,0211.289 - 1860,0211.300
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- UNDER THE TERMS OF THE BEQUEST, NONE OF THE PRINTS OR DRAWINGS BEQUEATHED BY R. W. LLOYD MAY BE LENT OUTSIDE THE BRITISH MUSEUM (Registration Numbers 1958,0712.318 to 3149).
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number