- Museum number
Badminton House from the east; an open landscape with a double avenue of young trees leading up to a country house crowned with an oval cupola, to the left of the house a church with a pinnacled Perpendicular tower, to the right of the avenue, in the foreground, a stag
Pen and brown ink, with grey wash; on three conjoined sheets
- Production date
- 1670-1679 (c.)
Height: 285 millimetres
Width: 323 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- See also Kip's engraved view of 1715 showing an elaborate formal garden which was probably never realized.
Stainton & White 1987
One of two views of Badminton by Danckerts in the British Museum: the other shows the house from the north. The seat of the Dukes of Beaufort, Badminton was rebuilt largely in its present form during the second half of the seventeenth century by Henry Somerset (1629-99), 3rd Marquess of Worcester, created 1st Duke of Beaufort in 1682, but the identity of the architect is not known. Danckerts's views were probably made in the 1670s, but there are no related paintings; in this drawing, the proportions of the cupola above the central block of the house have been exaggerated. The beginnings of the axial tree-planting in the park can be seen here: by about 1705, Thomas Smith's paintings of the house (see Harris, op. cit., p. 125) show avenues of mature trees.
Although primarily a house portrait, Danckerts's drawing reveals a sensitivity to landscape and a freshness of mood that contrasts with his more formal oil-paintings.
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
1949-50 BM, English topographical and landscape drawing, no.50
1987 June-Aug, BM Hilliard to Hogarth no.122
1987 Sept-Nov, New Haven, Hilliard to Hogarth
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Transferred to BM Dep of MSS, 1887. Transferred to the Dept of P&D, 1948.
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number