- Museum number
Design for the frame of an altarpiece, surmounted by two nude men and two angels supporting a shell-shaped escutcheon
Pen and brown ink, with brown wash
Verso: A sketch plan
Pen and brown ink
- Production date
Height: 496 millimetres
Width: 354 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- The pilgrim's staves and shell in the pediment show that the altarpiece was intended for a church or chapel dedicated to St James the Greater. The drawing is not mentioned in Romani's 1984 monograph or in the 1987 Reggio Emilia exhibition catalogue.
The pilgrim's staves and shell in the pediment show that the altar-piece was intended for a church or chapel dedicated to St. James the Greater. A painting of this saint, with an arched top, traditionally attributed to Orsi but in the catalogue of the Orsi Exhibition (p. 54, no. 43 ) assigned to an unidentified follower, is now in the church of S. Croce at Reggio Emilia. According to the catalogue, it came from a now demolished church dedicated to St. James.
On the verso, at the bottom of the sheet, is a small sketch-plan with measurements. This does not seem to be connected with the design on the recto.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- This item has an uncertain or incomplete provenance for the years 1933-45. The British Museum welcomes information and assistance in the investigation and clarification of the provenance of all works during that era.
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number