- Museum number
Object: The Oxford Almanack For the Year of our Lord God MDCCXLIX
Series: The Oxford Almanac
Old Magadalen Hall, the fifteenth century building in the background, with benefactors and other eminent men connected with the college, in the foreground, including a Chancellor gesturing to the charter held by another man, in front of a bust of the founder, William of Waynflete, another standing behind the chancellor, holding a plan of the building, another man sitting writing at a desk, to right. 1748
Etching and engraving
- Production date
Height: 358 millimetres (image)
Height: 503 millimetres
Width: 448 millimetres (image)
Width: 457 millimetres (trimmed)
- Curator's comments
- See Helen Mary Petter, 'The Oxford Almanacks' (Oxford 1974), p. 65; Alexander.
Magdalen Hall was originally the grammar school of Magdaelen College, built in 1480; it became an independent hall in the 16th century, was rebuilt in 1614 and damaged by fire in 1810, after which the hall moved to Hertford College, in 1822.
The architectural part is based on a drawing by 'Green', who was paid 8 guineas. The General Advertiser of 19 November 1748 (p. 3), announced the publication of the Almanack, which could be bought from M. Overton and Robert Sayer, Fleet Street, for 22 November.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number