- Museum number
Three children; one standing and seen from behind
Pen and brown ink, with grey-brown wash
- Production date
- 1523-1524 (circa)
Height: 112 millimetres
Width: 66 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- The drawing closely resembles others definitely related to putti painted in Parmigianino's frescoes in the Rocca Sanvitale at Fontanellato in c. 1523-4, such as that in the Louvre (6439; Popham no. 418, pl. 32; Gnann no. 120).
Lit.: A.E. Popham, 'Catalogue of the Drawings of Parmigianino', Cambridge, 1971, no. 173, pl. 36; A. Gnann, 'Parmigianino, Die Zeichnung', Petersberg, 2007, no. 123
This is possibly a fragment of a study for the decoration of the chamber in the Rocca di Fontanellato. These figures do not occur there, but in style and character the drawing closely resembles others definitely for Fontanellato, in the Louvre (6439; photo. Gernsheim 6965; 1964 Exh. Cat., no. 55; Popham, 'Parmigianino', pl. xii) and at Chatsworth (787b) both sides repr. 'Master Drawings', ut cit., pl. 1). It is likely to date, therefore, from shortly before Parmigianino's journey to Rome.
The writing is irrelevant: the lower writing consists of pen trials and the writing above does not seem to be in Parmigianino's hand.
Literature: Fröhlich-Bum, p. 91; Quintavalle, p. 206; A. E. Popham, Master Drawings, i (1963), no. 1, p. 3.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Popham 1967
An erasure, perhaps of L. 2617, in lower r. hand corner of mount. Inscribed on back of mount, by Esdaile: " . . . in the Colln of Sr Peter Lilly (crossed out) Lely Sr Jos. Reynolds". A note made in the Departmental register when the drawing was acquired implies that the mount (which was subsequently trimmed) was also inscribed with Esdaile's mark, the date of acquisition 1804, and a statement that the drawing came from the Knapton Collection. The preface to the catalogue of the collection of drawings formed by George Knapton and sold by T. Philipe in 1807 (25 May, etc.) claims, however, that "Mr. Knapton died in 1778, bequeathing his Collection to the late General Morrison, and it is now laid before the Public without the smallest addition or diminution whatever". The Reynolds mark was not placed on drawings until after his death in 1792.
For a note on the acquisition history, see 1905,1110.11.
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number