- Museum number
Reid 4770. A letterpress book with wood engraved illustrations entitled 'Original tales of my landlord's school.'
Lettered on the title-page: "Original tales of my landlord's school, collected from the writings of the Brachmins and translated from the originals in shanscrit [sic]. By William Gardiner. Late Master of Lydney and Aylburton Grammar Schools, author of the fortnight's visit, tales of my landlord's school etc. Neatly embellished with engravings on wood by Branston from designs by G. Cruikshank."
With the publisher's details at the foot of the page:
"London: Printed for D. Mackay, 53 Bartholomew Close; Oliver and Boyd and J. Cumming, London. Price 2s. 6 half bound."
With the following illustrations
1.Reid 3187. Frontispiece 'The Picture Gallery.' With the inscription: "Instruction is more readily imparted to the human mind by Pictures, tales and allegories, than by any other system which can be adopted- It is a man viewing himself in a mirror, and experience teaching him by examples." (State 1.)
2. Reid 3188. A wood engraved crown above the table of contents.
3. Reid 3189. 'The force of Example. (1)' opposite page 1.
4. Reid 3190. 'The force of example.' (2) opposite page 1.
5. A wood engraved illustration to 'The vision of cusco on page 17.
6. A tailpiece of a ship on page 28.
7. Reid 3191. 'The silver arrow.' opposite page 29.
8. Reid 3192. 'The history of Prince Hippoocoo, The Dwarf Sultan of Delhi.' (1) opposite page 29.
9.Tailpiece of a rose, page 56.
10. Tailpiece of two quivers of arrows on page 76.
11. Reid 3193. 'The history of Prince Hippoocoo, The Dwarf Sultan of Delhi.' (2) opposite page 77.
12. Reid 3194. 'The Sultan of Scind and his knights.' opposite page 77.
13. An advertisement for 'Tales of my landlord's school' and 'The story of Pegou, a Malay boy' on the final page.
At the end of the text: "Plummer and Brewis, Printers, Love Lane, Little East-cheap."
Letterpress and wood engraving
- Production date
Height: 136 millimetres (approx. page height)
Width: 85 millimetres (approx. page width)
- Curator's comments
- Description and titles of illustrations based on GW Reid: 'A descriptive catalogue of the works of George Cruikshank.' 1871.
A number of these illustrations were used in 'The magic spell.' See 1865,1111.1256-1267, 184.e.17.
This book is very similar in form and content to 'Original tales from my landlord' Reid 4772. 1865,1111.1248-1255. 184.e.20.
One of six chapbooks by William Gardiner in the Department of Prints and Drawings (184.e.18-184.e.21.) Gardiner's stories were intended for the moral education of children and often engage with themes of nationality and race. The illustration plates are re-used throughout the series of books.
- Not on display
- Associated titles
Associated Title: 'Tales of my landlord's school.' (Advertised on the final page.)
Associated Title: 'The story of Pegu, a Malay boy.' (See 1865,1111.1268. 184.e.18)
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number