- Museum number
Reid 4907. Second edition of an illustrated book entitled "The Bee and the Wasp." In a yellow cardboard binding.
Lettered on the front cover: "The bee and the wasp a fable in verse with illustrations designed and etched by George Cruikshank. London Basil Montagu Pickering, 196 Piccadilly, 1861." (Note plate 3 is bound as the frontispiece in this edition.)
With four etched illustration plates described by GW Reid as follows:
1. Reid 1563. "Mr Wasp introducing himself to the humble bee."
2. Reid 1564. "The new friends carousing."
3. Reid 1565. "Treachery of Mr Wasp."
4. Reid 1566. "Mr Wasp's cowardly onsluaght on humble bee's wife and children."
With two pages of advertisements for other publications from Basil Montagu Pickering at the beginning of the book. The pages of text are decorated with ornate designs at the head and foot and illuminated letters.
The device of a dolphin and anchor is printed at the back of the book with the motto: "Aldi discip anglvs."
Letterpress book with etched illustration plates
- Production date
Height: 176 millimetres (approx. page height)
Width: 139 millimetres (approx. page width)
- Curator's comments
- Description from GW Reid: "A descriptive catalogue of the works of George Cruikshank."
For unmounted versions of the illustrations see:
Reid 1563: 1987,U.177
Reid 1564: 1978,U.178
Reid 1565: 1978, U.179
Reid 1566: 1978, U.180
For the first edition see. 1865,1111.1655-1658. 184.d.6.
- Not on display
- Fragile with some weakness in the spine.
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number