- Museum number
Illustrated book of short stories entitled: "Tales of Other Days." The text is comprised of 250 pages and illustrated with wood engraved vignettes bound in a stiff card, lettered on the spine "Tales of Other Days with Illustrations by George Cruikshank. Price 9s."
1. Reid 3628. The full page illustration bound opposite the title page is an illustration from, "Roger Clevelley" "Herrick disarming Buckland, after the duel between the latter and Clevelly."
Lettered on the title page:
"Tales of Other Days. by J.Y.A With Illustrations by George Cruikshank. Engraved by J. Thompson and S. and T. Williams.
2.The vignette on the title-page is, Reid 3623 an illustration from "The Magic Phial." which represents "The archfiend giving chase to Peter Von Voorst."
With the publisher's details beneath the illustration: "London: Effingham Wilson, Royal Exchange. MDCCCXXX."
The illustrations are described by G.W. Reid as follows:
3. Reid 3624. From "The Magic Phial." The alarm of Peter Von Voorst at meeting the arch-fiend in the street.
4. Reid 3625. From "Friar Rush." Sir Simon led into the bog by the elf Friar Rush.
5. Reid 3626. From "The Three Suitors" Madaline dismissing Master Christopher Scrips.
6. Reid 3627. From "A Tale of the Low Countries." Rymer set at liberty by the govenor's niece.
7.Reid 3622. From "The Castle of Stauffenberg" Baron Ludolph Stauffenberg shooting Juan Gonzales, in the presence of the baroness.
Lettered at the end of the text, "London: Printed by Maurice and Co."
A catalogue of 24 pages detailing: "New, Useful and Valuable Books, Published by Effingham Wilson." Is bound at the back of this edition with a wood engraved illustration of the Royal Exchange.
Wood engraved illustrations to a letterpress book.
- Production date
Height: 56 millimetres (approx. height (illustration))
Height: 202 millimetres (approx. height (page))
Height: 37 millimetres (approx. height (vignette illustration on title page))
Width: 65 millimetres (approx. width (illustration))
Width: 128 millimetres (approx. width (page))
Width: 50 millimetres (approx. width (vignette illustration on title page))
- Curator's comments
- Description from GW Reid, "A Desciptive Catalogue of the works of George Cruikshank." 1871.
Proof impressions of the illustrations were sold seperately as advertised on page 2 of the catalogue bound at the back of this text.
Note the order of illustrations in this edition of the book differ from Reid's catalogue where 3622 is the frontispiece illustration. Reid notes: "The titles given here and the references to the pages, are found only in the edition of 1867."
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number