- Museum number
Izaak Walton's The Complete Angler, with the second part by Charles Cotton, edited by John Major, 1844 (fourth edition), half-bound in green leather with marbled covers, marbled endpapers and gilt top edge and extra-illustrated with 98 prints (above the original 12 illustrations) in 1850, presented to the Museum by Henry W. Martin in 1861. There are two 'List[s] of Embellishments', the first of which records 12 prints 'Engravings on steel'; and second of which records 74 prints 'Engravings on Wood'. (pp.x-xvi).
Select portraits include Izaak Walton engraved by H.Robinson after James Inksipp opposite the title-page, Thomas Pennant engraved by Stanier, Charles Cotton engraved by H. Robinson after Sir Peter Lely and John Donne engraved by William Bromley.
Select landscape subjects include a 'Distant View of Beresford Hall' engraved by James Harfield Kernot and 'The Head of Dove Dale, Derbyshire' engraved by Edward Finden after William Westall.
Binder's stamp on upper endpaper verso: "Bound by Riviere".
- Production date
- 1850 (Extra-Illustrated)
Height: 171 millimetres (sheet)
Width: 102 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Inserted into the back of this volume is 'The Angler's Song' 1883,0410.195,6.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number