- Museum number
Christ at left healing the paralytic, after Perino del Vaga. 1540s
Chiaroscuro woodcut from four blocks in purple
- Production date
- 1540-1550 (circa)
Height: 274 millimetres
Width: 205 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Bartsch records the print as after Parmigianino, but it is in fact after the fresco in the Massimi chapel in S Trinità dei Monti in Rome by Perino del Vaga. See J.A. Gere, 'The Burlington Magazine', 1960, p.9. For more on this commission see the curator's commentary on 1946,0713.568 which is a study for the composition recorded in this print.
Bartsch did not know who had made the woodcut, and the identification of its production to the workshop of Niccolò Vicentino is due to Naoko Takahatake, 'The chiaroscuro woodcut in Renaissance Italy', Los Angeles 2018, cat.58. This is one of two impressions in the BM printed in the Vicentino workshop: for the other see 1941,1213.535.
On the verso is an offset of B.XII.133.11.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The 255 woodcuts came from a group of 500 that was offered by Colnaghi for £500 (see Carpenter's report dated 21 March 1860). According to the register these came from the collection of William Russell. Carpenter proposed making a selection of those that the BM lacked; this was first declined by Colnaghi's, but was later accepted (see his later report dated 11 April). The final selection of 255 prints cost 300 guineas. Nos.312 to 327 were Japanese colour prints - almost the earliest to enter the BM collection.
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number