- Museum number
Object: The Oxford Almanack For the Year of our Lord God MDCCXLII
Series: The Oxford Almanac
A view of Balliol College, from the south; below, in a frame, the founder John de Balliol and his wife Devorguilla sitting in a neo-classical alcove with Sir Phillip Somerville and Sir William Felton to left, Lady Periham and Peter Blundell to right; in front, to left, are Bishop Gray of Ely, holding an elevation of the library which he built, with Sir Thomas Wandy; in the centre is Bishop Bell of Worcester watching cherubs measure a plan of the old front which he had built; to right are Dr Compton and Dr Robinson, Bishops of London and Dr Mander, with drawings of churches; behind them are Bishop Warner of Rochester, Dr Snell and Dr Busby; at the back are Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, Archbishop Neville of York and Wycliffe; in niches to either side are figures of Divinity and Mathematics. 1741
Etching and engraving
- Production date
Height: 358 millimetres (image)
Height: 500 millimetres
Width: 448 millimetres (image)
Width: 463 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- See Helen Mary Petter, 'The Oxford Almanacks' (Oxford 1974), p. 62-63; Alexander.
There are two plates, signed 'G Vertue Sculp.' and 'G Vertue Scul'; proofs with the heading only; a drawing in the Ashmolean on two sheets; a silk almanac with a red border at the OUP, London.
The scheme for rebuilding the college was begun in 1738 and ran until 1743; only the East range and three bays of the south front were built. Petter suggests that the architect may have been the mason in charge of new building, William Townesend. Alexander adds that if the illustration of the design in the almanac was intended to raise funds for the project, the college must have been disappointed.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Prints and Drawings
- Registration number