- Museum number
Buff sandstone building stone; inscribed on and below a carved military standard, flanked by Capricorn and Pegasus.
- Production date
- 1stC - 2ndC
Diameter: 150 millimetres
Height: 250 millimetres
Width: 380 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- The inscription LEG II AVG is marked both on and below a military standard. It records the completion of building work by the Roman army's Second Legion Augusta. The Pegasus and Capricorn were the emblems of that legion. The main base of the second legion was at Caerleon, in Wales, but detachments were seconded to help in the construction of Hadrian's Wall.
The Wall, built by Emperor Hadrian (reigned AD 117-138), was a continuous defensive barrier that guarded the north-western frontier of the province from barbarian invaders. It extended from coast to coast, running for 118 kilometres (73 miles) from Segedunum (Wallsend) on the River Tyne in the east, to Bowness on the Solway Firth in the west.
- On display (G49/dc9)
- The stone is slightly burnt on the front. The upper left corner has been broken off. Most of the border on the left side, in the centre at the bottom, and on the upper right side is gone (CSIR 1, 1).
- Acquisition notes
- Found during trenching of the northern part of the fort at Benwell (Condercum), not later than 1789.
Acquisition details unknown as of September 2003.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number