- Museum number
Tureen, Cover and Stand; hard-paste porcelain; the stand white, the bowl and cover creamier in tone; the shallow stand has a wide, shaped rim; there is a glazed-over chip on the foot rim; the tureen has two rococo-style handles, a domed cover and elaborate entwined handles; gilt decoration of scattered flower sprays, and near the rim of a garland of leaves around a line; gilt rims, handles partly gilt; maker's mark.
- Production date
- 1777-1788 (circa)
Diameter: 31.80 centimetres (stand)
Height: 17.40 centimetres (tureen and cover)
- Curator's comments
- Text from Dawson 1994:
The design of this piece is particularly sophisticated. It was attributed by Franks to Orléans , but the heraldic label mark was registered on 10 February by Sieur Seguin, who had purchased the factory at the château de Vincennes originally used by Pierre-Antoine Hannong (Chavagnac and Grollier, 1906, pp. 407-15). Additional evidence that it was used at Vincennes is provided by a double salt and a seau à liqueur in the Victoria and Albert Musem, London (reg nos. C. 510A-1909 and C.111-1972), both bearing the label mark and decorated with flowers and the monogram of Louis-Phillippe-Joseph, duc de Chartres (1747-93, became duc d'Orléans in 1785), patron of the factory.
Rather similar handles can be seen on a tasse à la reine in the Musée national de Céramique, Sèvres, from the duc d'Orléans factory in rue Amelot, Paris (illust. by Guillebon, 1972, fig. 107).
- Not on display
- Part of one of the handles has cracked in two during firing; gilding is rubbed, particularly on the stand.
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number