- Museum number
A woman's blouse. Made from cream coloured artificial silk woven cloth, commercially made, with long sleeves, known as 'rekla', which are set in at right angles. A large pink lacework panel at neckline and shoulders, made of synthetic, commercially made cloth. Four pleats either side of centre front opening, fastened with six metal press studs. Five pleats at centre back, forming a peplum. Cream commercial lacework gathered and stitched onto sleeve ends. Lower sleeves and peplum embroidered with floral embroidery in polychrome floss silk (?) threads.
- Production date
- 1900-1925 (donor information)
Length: 55 centimetres
Width: 127 centimetres (across arms)
- Curator's comments
- Text from Eth Doc 1892, no. 1c: A blouse, a 'svabica'. Made by village women from manufactured silk fabric and lace. It is cream in colour. The front has four wide pleats on either side of the opening, and the back has two sets of five wide pleats which form a frill at the bottom. There is a lace panel, cream in colour, at the top of the garment over the shoulders. The sleeves and panels are edged with cream lace. The sleeves which are narrow became fashionable at the end of the nineteenth century and are called 'rekla', and are set into the garment at right angles.
The term 'svabica' comes from 'svabo' an old Croat slang term for German. This referred to to the town influence of the cut of the blouse, although there had been some settlement by German families in the nineteenth century. The decoration in coloured silk around the lower sleeve and back fringe is influenced by European colours and embroidery technique, and is 'Baroque' in appearance.
Religion: Roman Catholic.
For other parts of this attire see: 1: apron; 2: skirt; 4: cap.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Purchased in 1966 by the donor from an old lady in a farmhouse on the outskirts of the town of Petrinije, Sava valley, south east of Zagreb.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number