- Museum number
Silver gilt drinking cup with a flattened globular body, and high neck curving slightly outwards. Circular foot, somewhat conical and having at the base a band of pierced trefoils. Round the shoulder is soldered a raised band with a row of small saltires. Flat curved handle, with rolled-over end, proceeding from the middle of the body, on the outer face are engraved wiry foliated scrolls, on the inner a plate is lost; on the sides the plates are pierced with a quatrefoil, trefoil, etc.
- Production date
Height: 12.30 centimetres
- Curator's comments
Reproductions of this cup in silver, partly gilt, were made by S. Blanckensee & Son of Birmingham; for an example with Chester hallmarks for 1927-29, see correspondence with Fred Sinfield, Australia, July 2005 on object file (J. Rudoe 15.7.05).
Text from Read and Tonnochy 1928, 'Catalogue of Silver Plate' (Franks Bequest):
This drinking cup is previously from the collection of the Duke of Hamilton (sale 1882, lot 633) and of Hofrat Zschille. Exhibited at the South Kensington Museum, 1862 (Cat. no. 1054), at the Soc. Antiq., June 30, 1861, and at the Arch. Inst., April 7, 1856. See Cripps, p. 308, and 'Arch. Journ.' XI, p. 186.
This vessel no doubt originally possessed a cover. The style of the details and the engraving point, however, rather to a French than German provenance. Cups of this form are for the most part of the fifteenth century, and from their appearance on German and Swiss shields of arms they have been thought to be of German or Swiss origin. They are found on the arms and crest of the family of Liebenberg of the Canton of Zurich, in a roll of arms published by the Society of Antiquaries of Zurich, 'Die Wappenrolle von Zürich'; and in a manuscript (British Museum Add. MS. 24189) cups of the kind are seen in illustrations to Mandeville's Travels.
Of extant examples of this type, with recurved handles, the following may be noted. A cup with the arms of the Rodney family (c. 1500-10) was sold at the Swaythling sale in May 1924 (figured, Jackson, 'English Plate', II, fig. 857; Cripps, p. 307, no. 43). Examples are found in other materials with silver mounts. In the Green Vaults at Dresden is preserved a rock crystal cup with silver gilt mounts with a dedication to Queen Hedwig of Poland, d. 1399 (J. L. Sponsel, 'Das Grüne Gewölbe zu Dresden',I, plate 3, Leipzig, 1926). Another also of rock crystal, with silver gilt mounts of the late fifteenth century, is preserved in the Deutsch-Orden Schatz at Vienna (figured, Jackson, as above, II, fig. 859). The Victoria and Albert Museum possesses an example in agate, of about 1480.
- On display (G40/dc3)
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Sold at the Hamilton Palace Sale, Christie's, June - July 1882, Lot no. 633: 'A Curious Circular Cup, of silver gilt, with chased moulding and engraved handle - on foot, with openwork Gothic pattern - 4 in. diam., 5 in. high'. Sold to J & S Goldschmidt, £405.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number