- Museum number
Finger-ring; silver, hoop of quadrangular section terminating in conventional monsters' heads from which pierced supports rise to the sides of a bezel with octagonal base and high vertical top with four claws containing a pierced sapphire.
- Production date
Diameter: 1.64 inches
- Curator's comments
- Text from Dalton 1912, Catalogue of Finger Rings:
A third ring of identical design, stated to have beeen found in a grave outside the Duomo at Murano, is in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.
Text from Ward, Cherry et al, 'The Ring from Antiquity to the Twentieth Century,' London 1981, pl. 132.
This ring has an elaborately modelled bezel. The high vertical top of the bezel contains a sapphire set within four claws. The base of the bezel is in the shape of an octagon with incurved sides. Pierced supports rise from dragons' heads on the hoop of quadrangular section. The use of dragons' heads on the hoop may be compared with rings such as the Cannington ring (Pl. 124). Five medieval rings were found at Murano in the nineteenth century. Two are in the British Museum and three in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. The three in the Ashmolean were all found in a grave outside the Cathedral at Murano and were therefore thought to be episcopal rings.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number