- Museum number
- Object: The Lacock Cup
Silver-gilt drinking cup with lid, cast. The bowl of the cup is hemispherical in shape and is soldered at its base to a trumpet shaped foot. The lid is conical, topped with a finial and a spherical knop from which protrudes a small silver wick. The cup and lid are decorated with a twisted ropework pattern combined with an openwork crenelated motif which is applied at three different points; above the base and below the bowl of the cup, along the rim of the lid. There is gilding at the base of the foot, across the outside of the lip of the bowl and the knop; the finial, wick, ropework and crenellations have also been gilded.
- Production date
Diameter: 13.80 centimetres
Height: 35 centimetres
Weight: 906 grammes
- Curator's comments
- The Lacock Cup is a rare survivor from medieval England. Produced in the 15th century, it was originally a drinking cup made for feasting and after the Reformation was used by the Church of Saint Cyriac in Lacock, Wiltshire, as a chalice for communion. As an object which has been central to shared consumption, of wine at a feast and wine for the sacrament, the Lacock Cup tells these two stories of its original secular context and later religious status. Despite the contemporary popularity of objects such as the Lacock Cup, few pieces of secular silver survive today - the majority of cups would have been melted down for their metal value or refashioned due to changing tastes. Although we cannot be certain exactly when the Lacock Cup was donated to St Cyriac's, the two centuries following the Reformation in England are the most likely time period in which such a gift would have been valued and preserved.
The nineteenth and twentieth centuries brought the Lacock Cup into public view in a very different way, through its inclusion in publications and exhibitions. The importance of the Cup must have always been apparent, to those in the parish, when it was used in the church, and in regional surveys of the nineteenth century, the Cup was often singled out as a treasure of Wiltshire. Its condition is a testament to this recognition as it has survived immaculately.
Over the years the history of its donation was lost and it was only in the twentieth century that the wider historical importance of the Cup was realized. In 1937 and 1955 the Cup made two trips to exhibitions (Treasures of the West Country and Silver Treasures from English Churches respectively), the first at Bristol, and the latter at Christie's in London for the Historic Churches Preservation Trust. The 1955 exhibition catalogue described it as an 'extremely rare and interesting cup.' Following a loan to Vienna in 1962, for the exhibition European Art around 1400, the lending of the Cup was agreed to the British Museum by the Keeper of the Department of British and Medieval Antiquities, R.L.S. Bruce-Mitford, and the Rector the Reverend Mr. G.R. Brocklebank.
After twenty years on loan to the British Museum, the transporting of the Cup back to St Cyriac's became untenable for insurance reasons. From this point the Cup was looked after by the British Museum, where it has been on permanent display ever since. The Cup was acquired by the Museum in December 2013.
For a full discussion of the Lacock Cup please see:
L. de Beer & N Speakman, The Lacock Cup, (London: British Museum Press, 2014)
- On display (G40/dc3)
- Exhibition history
2015-2016 Oct-Jan, Norwich, Norwich Castle Keep, Spotlight Tour
2015 Jun- Sep, Durham, Palace Green Library, Spotlight Tour.
2015 31 Jan- 9 May , Salisbury, Salisbury Museum, Spotlight Tour.
2003-2004 9 Oct-18 Jan, London, V&A, Gothic: Art for England 1400-1547
1973-1974 Sep-Apr, Bristol, St Nicholas' Church Museum
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The Cup had previously been on long-term loan to the Museum, 1962-2013.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number