- Museum number
- Object: St Cyril Belozerski
Icon; painted with egg tempera on wood; Saint Cyril is portrayed full-length; he blesses with his raised right hand and in his left holds a scroll with his scriptures. He wears a dark-brown monk's mantle upon an ochre-yellowish robe with a blue 'epitrachelion'. Incomplete Cyrillic inscription on either side of the saint's head; Cyrillic inscription on the scroll.
- Production date
Length: 285 millimetres
Weight: 546 grammes
Width: 232 millimetres
Depth: 21 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- St Cyril (1337–1427) was the founder (in 1397) and abbot of the Belozerski monastery on the south side of the White Lake in the far north-west of Russia. The iconography of the Museum’s icon follows the standard format known from an icon at his tomb (late 15th–early 16th century) and his 'vita' icon (early 16th century), both in the Russian Museum, St Petersburg. The text written on his scroll is the same as on his 'vita' icon (see: Vzdornov, Danilova et al, 2002, pls 37–8). The cult of St Cyril Belozerski was particularly venerated in Novgorod and northern Russia.
For the saint’s iconography, see: LCI 6, cols 21–2.
Published: Temple Gallery 1974, 86, no. 44
Temple Gallery 1999, no. 67
Cormack 2007, 105–6, fig. 67 and 137, no. 99
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
2015 15 Sep-10 Jan, USA, Norfolk, Chrysler Museum of Art, Byzantium to Russia: The origins and development of Russian icons 1200 to 1900.
2015 30 Apr- 22 Aug, USA, Clinton, Museum of Russian Icons, Byzantium to Russia: The origins and development of Russian Icons 1200 to 1900.
- Made from a single panel with ‘kovcheg’; two inserted battens on the reverse; the paint layer on the background, which was originally light green, has been scraped down to the white gesso. The thin red frame along the icon’s edges is the result of recent restoration.
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number