- Museum number
- Object: The Mother of God Feodorovskaya
Icon; painted; the Virgin is shown half-length facing left and holding the Christ child with her right hand. Her head is slightly inclined towards the Child, who embraces her with both hands. The clothes of both figures are decorated with gold highlights. The infant Christ is depicted with a bare left leg, a symbol of his future agony on the cross.
Inscription: in Greek in Christ's halo: O W(N) (He Who Is).
Egg tempera, gold and gesso on wood.
- Production date
19thC (total restoration)
Length: 312 millimetres (with frame)
Length: 265 millimetres
Weight: 893 grammes
Width: 266 millimetres (with frame)
Width: 235 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- This icon represents a well-known type in Byzantine art called the ‘Glykophilousa’ (also known as ‘Eleusa’) and which was to spread all over the Orthodox world. Several variations are known. This type, with a ‘bare leg’, became known in Russian icon painting in the 13th century as the ‘Mother of God Feodorovskaya’. The icon’s name derives from a legend in which the miracle-working icon first appeared in a forest to Prince Basil of Yaroslavl’ on 16 August 1239. The icon was subsequently taken to the church of Theodore Stratilates in the town of Kostroma. St Theodore Stratilates was a 4th-century martyr-saint especially esteemed as the protector of warriors and princes. Michael Romanov (1596–1645), the first tsar of the Romanov dynasty, was blessed by this miracle-making icon when he came to the Russian throne in 1613. He established a special celebration feast to the icon on 14 March. The Feodorovskaya icon subsequently became one of the most glorified images of the Virgin Mary in Russia and became widespread through copies.
See also cat. no. 71 for another icon with this iconography.
Cormack 2007, 130, no. 70
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
2015 15 Sep-10 Jan, USA, Norfolk, Chrysler Museum of Art, Byzantium to Russia: The origins and development of Russian icons 1200 to 1900
2015 30 Apr- 22 Aug, USA, Clinton, Museum of Russian Icons, Byzantium to Russia: The origins and development of Russian Icons 1200 to 1900
- Made from a single panel with ‘kovcheg’; the original icon has been enlarged by the addition of a later wooden frame; there are later insertions of gesso around the icon’s edges and on the lower border; the painting on both the original and renovated background is totally new. All restoration done in the 19th century.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- See 1998,0605.1 Most of the items catalogued under 1998,0605 were acquired by Sir Frank Roberts’ wife, Cella.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: IC 71 (Icon Collection number)